suddenly filling of hd and no access to x

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Sep 22 21:10:04 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 6:17:46 am Accessys at smart.net wrote:

> can get to the files from the live CD but won't let me delete them and
> can't find the trash can to try and empty it, in the old kde it
> refused to let me empty it so that would have made a few gb of space
> to work with at least.
>
> > > Knoppix
> >
> > If he's got an Ubuntu live CD, of course he can get to root.  Just open a
> > terminal window, or ctrl-alt-f1.
>
> I can get to root, but even in root it won't let me do anything to the
> hard drive files saying I don't have permissions (guess that is to
> protect things while using a live CD but stops me from making critical
> repairs)
>
> > My vote is for strigi or whatever gnome uses instead.  strigi used to
> > fill up my wife's drive even though it was supposedly turned off.  So I
> > terminated it with extreme prejudice, and no more space problems...
>
> what is strigi????  never loaded it to my knowledge (I use KDE)

I also removed strigi from my 8.04 install because of it's filling my drive.
It's file was already a third of my drive!  I too use Kubuntu, however if I
what to see what something is I open my synaptic package manager and look at
it.  This is the explanation from there:

fast indexing and searching tool for your personal data (daemon)
Strigi is a program for fast indexing and searching your personal data. It can
gather and index informations from files in the filesystem even if they are
hidden in emails or archives. It comes with a Qt4 GUI, an HTML GUI and a KDE
GUI.

Main features:
* very fast crawling
* very small memory footprint
* no hammering of the system
* pluggable backend, currently clucene and hyperestraier, sqlite3 and xapian
are in the works
* communication between daemon and search program over an abstract interface,
this is currently a simple socket but implementation of D-Bus is a
possibility. There's a small perl program in the code as an example of how
to query. This is so easy that any KDE app could implement this.
* simple interface for implementing plugins for extracting information. we'll
try to reuse the kat plugins, although native plugins will have a large
speed advantage
* calculation of sha1 for every file crawled (allows fast finding of
duplicates)

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403