suddenly filling of hd and no access to x

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Tue Sep 22 13:23:24 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 09/21/2009 05:43 PM, Accessys at smart.net wrote:
>>> oh yes can boot up from live CD into xwindow but don't have
>>> permissions to delete any files or empty trash.  can't get to root
>>> either.
>> Knoppix
>
> If he's got an Ubuntu live CD, of course he can get to root.  Just open a
> terminal window, or ctrl-alt-f1.
>
> My vote is for strigi or whatever gnome uses instead.  strigi used to fill
> up my wife's drive even though it was supposedly turned off.  So I
> terminated it with extreme prejudice, and no more space problems...

I've been following this thread with interest as I had a similar issue
on a CentOS server not so long ago.  As its not been mentioned, I
thought I'd chime in with what caused *that* system's / to fill suddenly.

I was doing a nightly rsync  of /home to an external drive mounted on
/media/backup.  Well, rsync was setup via cron to run at 11p and one
night the external drive wasn't mounted and rsync kicked on.  Result?  A
full / as there was no /media/backup mount point, /media/backup was a
folder and it rsync'd to the system volume.

Outcome was easy.  I did _rm -f /media/backup_ then added logic to check
for the mount point before the snapshot script was allowed to run.

HTH,
-Ray