OT: The symantics of the terms PC/Mac (was Re: Looking for a program to capture you-tube style video)

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 00:19:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 22:23 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Mark C. Miller <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com>:
[snip]
> > Now that I've left my pc days behind me, I discover I used that program
> > more than I thought.
>
> So now you don't use a PC anymore? What do you use instead? Cell
> phone? Mac? I think most Ubuntu users installed Ubuntu on their PC. In
> fact I think that almost 100% of us did that…

It really gets on my nerves when people talk about 'PCs' and 'Macs' as
if they're completely different things. They're not. "PC" is literally
just an acronym for "Personal Computer". Macs are PCs too. In fact, I
think any computer that doesn't require a room to itself is technically
a 'PC'. Anything else is just a computer (though they're still all just
computers.) Personally, I blame Steve Jobs for the whole mess.

I know you (Johnny) probably understood this already, and I'm not
bashing you or anything. I just wanted to say my piece.

> Actually I suspect that when you say PC, you actually mean Windows, am I right?

I suspect you are right... that's what he meant.

--
Andrew