Assembly language programming in unix environment

freeburn hossain at finder-lbs.com
Sun Sep 20 23:37:44 UTC 2009

Not really. Today's compilers are very good at optimising code.
> Hand-tuned asm may be faster, but not by much. You'd have to
> have a very skilled asm coder to beat a compiler these days.
> It's simply not worth it for projects where time to delivery is important.
>
> But for learning how a computer works, it's a very good thing. I used
> to write asm many years ago, and it has given me a good understanding
> of how computers operate. So I think you should pursue it, if it's
> of interest to you.
>
> (Oh, and C is a low level language.)
>
> --
> Odd

i actually worked on some drivers in my course lab, and they were
exclusively written in assembly. And the books
we were referred to, most of them were old aged books which talk about
8086/80186 based microcomputers and DOS. but there was a book which
covered intel p4 microprocessor and had a section about 64 bit
architecture(The Intel microprocessor-Bary B brey,pearson education).
and it had its last edition on 2006. this book actually took assembly
very seriously and showd many "under the hood" OS application. and by
studying that i do believe that assembly language still has quiet a bite
when it comes to interfacing hardware. only problem was the book was
completely dedicated to windows. in the class-room we also taught
everything in windows environment with very ugly DOS system calls. since
than i'm very curious to import my understanding of processors to unix
environment. in the local book-store i could buy only one book about
assembly language in linux environment(its a poor country, so finding
the books which are not usually taught at the university is very
difficult). And that book was kind of elementary ,featuring very simple
asm with nasm. whatever i just wanted to find a right programming tools
and related information to start asm in the OS i love.

i'm facing difficulties with "_asm" blocks embedded in native "c" codes.
because popular IDE's like netbeans does not have a module like "MFC" in
MS VC++. i know by issuing the right gcc options it can be done more
efficiently than MS VC++. but it would be real help if i could use an
IDE. and also the related information about assembler in UNIX.