Why NX?? Re: remote desktop problem

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 22:33:30 UTC 2009

On 09/18/2009 01:45 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/18/2009 01:14 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> On 09/18/2009 12:44 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> Get the fusion-icon, at least for Hardy.  Right click and choose your
>>> manager from the list.
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>>

>> I will check that out.
>>
>> Is there a command line way to do it?  If I don't know that I will need
>> to access my desk computer I might not click the icon.  What I'd like to
>> be able to do is set up the ssh tunnel with port forwarding, from that
>> command line, turn off compiz remotely, then start the VNC viewer.  Is
>> that possible?
>>

> I wonder if something like this would work:
> <http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/05/howto-automatically-disable-compiz-when.html>

Yeah, I saw that and some others that suggested the command |metacity
--replace .  I should have quoted my original post back.  When I did
that, all of my active windows turned useless, including the terminal
window I typed it in.  The script you linked has this command:
||metacity --replace > /dev/null &
I assumed that the "> /dev/null" was to just to catch whatever messages
and that it did not enhance the useage.  The "&" might make a
difference, though, so I'll try that.  Actually, i'll  try the entire
line, what the heck, can't break it permenantly.

> On the other hand, if you are wanting to access your home system from
> work etc., I _highly_ recommend using NX or FreeNX instead.

Ok, I noticed that mentioned in the other recent thread, but I  didn't
understand why use FreeNX?  What does that do for me that the ssh / vnc
method does not do?