Follow up Question Was: Re: Virtal Machine preferences?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 18 14:05:57 UTC 2009

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 15:53 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:

> I concur.  I have run a Windows XP virtual machine using VMware and have
> never been infected in 8 years.  Part of the reason is I have it running
> on a NATed network which means the box is essentially invisible to the
> typical network based attacks.  I also do not run the most common virus
> vector software such as an email client on the virtual machine.  That
> helps a lot.

I agree too, even though I pointed out that clamav wouldn't work if it had
its own connection to the 'net.  My Windows VM runs a NATted connection, and
even runs Outlook Express, but OE only _sends_ mail, and the browser is used
_only_ for testing my own websites.  I don't run a virus scanner on it at
all.
--
derek