Follow up Question Was: Re: Virtal Machine preferences?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 16:07:30 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 06:08 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>

>>  would clamav on the ubuntu host protect
>> windows?  Or does it need it's own av solution?
>>

> It depends what access your VM has to the 'net.  If it can browse the web
> and get email, etc, clamav won't help unless everything's proxied through
> the host.

Would that be "Bridged Networking" in V-box?  I found this reference in
the manual, but am not sure it this is the same thing you were talking
about.

"

With bridged networking, VirtualBox uses a device driver on your /host/
system that filters data from your physical network adapter. This driver
is therefore called a "net filter" driver. This allows VirtualBox to
intercept data from the physical network and inject data into it,
effectively creating a new network interface in software. When a guest
is using such a new software interface, it looks to the host system as
though the guest were physically connected to the interface using a
network cable: the host can send data to the guest through that
interface and receive data from it. This means that you can set up
routing or bridging between the guest and the rest of your network.

For this to work, VirtualBox needs a device driver on your host system.
The way bridged networking works has been completely rewritten with
VirtualBox 2.0 and 2.1, depending on the host operating system. From the
user perspective, the main difference is that complex configuration is
no longer necessary on any of the supported host operating systems^"

^Thanks