[9.04] printing with lpd: remove duplex options

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 17 23:05:11 UTC 2009

On 09/17/2009 06:40 AM, Jacques Beigbeder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a large network of Ubuntu using a print server with lpd://server/myPrinter
> I just upgraded the server to 9.04.
> Now all options, like Duplex, disappear!
>
> Stopping printers step by step, I saw that:
> . on the client, /var/spool/cups/c* contains options
> . after transfert with lpd on the server, all options disappear
>   in /var/spool/cups/c*.
> So duplex printing from clients fails.
>
> ppd files are the same on client and server.
> Duplex printing on the server is OK.
>
> lpd is managed by xinetd via a line like:
> 	/usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd -o application/octet-stream
>
> Do I have to move all clients to ipp://,
> or is this some bug, some misconfiguration on the server?

I don't know about lpd (I use ipp), but a suggestion: set up the printer
to appear with different configurations. For example, I have one printer
(networked as well) but I set it up with different profiles.

o MP750 - set for standard greyscale
o MP750Duplex - set for standard greyscale, duplex mode
o MP750Color - set for standard color printing
o MP750ColorDuplex - set for standard color printing duplex mode (not
used often)
o MP750ColorPhoto - set for optimal color photo settings

The default is MP750 for all so that I save color ink. The user can
select one of the other (virtual) printers to print in other modes when
needed.