synaptic package manager not in menu

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 16:58:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 23:31 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> I don't know if you ever resolved this, but you did not mention whether
> you restarted the Gnome desktop.  I just installed virtualbox.  It added
> a new category under Applications which did not show up in the menus.  I
> remembered this thread and did the same checks, no joy.  Then I logged
> out of my 'buntu sesson and logged back in again.  The menu lists were
> updated!  There should be a better way to do this, but in the absense of
> some other method this may work.  (At least not a full reboot!)

I've experienced this a few times before... it doesn't happen often, and
only on my desktop, but to cure it I usually go to the 'edit menus' and
the thing pops up afterwards.  If that doesn't work, killing the gnome
panel does.

I agree that this should not be necessary though. It works most of the
time, but I just figured it was some odd bug in my system since I've
been running this same install for the past 3 years.

--
Andrew