synaptic package manager not in menu

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 06:31:09 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 06:32 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 08:40:30PM -0400, Fred Roller wrote:
>
>> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>>> After creating an account for my step-daughter, I gave her (temporary)
>>> admin privileges so she could install some software. When I had her
>>> look in the System -> Administration menu synaptic package manager was
>>> absent. I was able to install the s/w she wanted with apt-get so she
>>> *did* have admin privileges. "Edit Menus" showed the package manager
>>> was checked. Running "/usr/sbin/synaptic worked but I would like it in
>>> the GUI menu for her.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Try:
>>
>> Hover over the "Application Places System" area of the panel and :
>>
>>     Right Click->Edit Menus
>>
>> in the resulting windows scroll down to the "System:Administration" line
>> and click.  In the right side see if Synaptic is checked.  If not, check
>> it.  Try that and see if it adds the Synaptic menu item to the menu.
>>

> Ummmmm......from my original post:
>

>> "Edit Menus" showed the package manager was checked.
>>

> A little elementary but thanks anyway.

I don't know if you ever resolved this, but you did not mention whether
you restarted the Gnome desktop.  I just installed virtualbox.  It added
a new category under Applications which did not show up in the menus.  I
remembered this thread and did the same checks, no joy.  Then I logged
out of my 'buntu sesson and logged back in again.  The menu lists were
updated!  There should be a better way to do this, but in the absense of
some other method this may work.  (At least not a full reboot!)

Cheers