Ubuntu Professionals Forum?

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 19:26:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Just a thought from my experience, a list that has as a requirement of
> experience in running Ubuntu for another person may be a very little
> used list. Since I run Ubuntu just for myself I am excluded from this
> list. You can count on me not reading this new list since all I can do
> is read. If I see a flaw in a email it stays there.
>
>        So by all means set it up and see if I am right!
>
> 73 Karl

I was quoted in Karl's response, but perhaps he meant to respond to
Siggy's message instead of mine.  I just thought I would try to
clarify just one more time what my understanding of the OP's request
was.  I agree with Karl that a list having some kind of experience
requirement isn't that useful.  How do you determine and verify
experience?  Referrals?  A test?   How do you determine what is
"enough" experience?  I think that would be really hard to come to an
agreement on.

What I think that the OP had intended, and what I can see a possible
use for, is for a list focused on the business side of Ubuntu.  How do
you sell Ubuntu?  How do you migrate offices from Microsoft servers to
Ubuntu servers?  How do you find good Linux people to do the work?

I can see how a list like this would quite possibly have fairly little
traffic.  I don't see, however, any need to restrict it in any way.
It would likely sort itself out because people who had an interest in
business topics that relate to Ubuntu would would read it and respond,
and people who were primarily end-users would get no benefit and
therefore not have a need to use it.

Hopefully this clarifies things more (or at least my thoughts more).

Preston