[OT] ubuntu-users and Gmail

Dax Solomon Umaming knightlust at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 11 11:06:34 UTC 2009

Bill Moseley wrote:
> I keep getting the ubuntu-users Mailman list disabled for "excessive
> bounces" -- I assume because Gmail is rejecting some messages (spam
> filtering) sent by the list.

Hello Bill,

Here's the Bounce Action Notification message from Mailman:

This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:

    List:       ubuntu-users
    Member:     moseley at hank.org
    Action:     Subscription disabled.
    Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.

<snip>

  moseley at hank.org
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

It seems that your hank.org mail server went down, though I'm not sure
how long. Please check your hank.org  server/settings since this is not
a Gmail issue.

> Is this his happening to anyone else that uses Gmail?

There's a couple more accounts affected by this, it happened on Aug 27
and Sept 01. Here's a list of domains affected affected by the same
error (retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period):

hank.org
emdy.net
writemoore.net
kunjan.net
brenomachado.org
zhu.net
clubdelarazon.org

Since the BAN was triggered from one post, I can only assume (for now)
that they're hosted on the same shared server.

Posted to the list for FYI purposes so user accounts with disabled
delivery (5 of them) have something to refer to.

Thanks
- --
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://blog.knightlust.com/