Messengers and Music Players

Minty Busby serendipity.g3a at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 23:45:10 UTC 2009

I ask this with a light heart since it really isn't critical at all.  I just
think it would be nice if I could do this.  I don't want it bad enough to
buy anybody's proprietary software or go write it myself, and if this isn't
the proper venue, simply tell me, and I won't say another word.

At the moment (and since the combo became possible to my knowledge), I'm
using Pidgin (I used to use aMSN until it stopped working and it started
seeming like an abandoned project).  I use it mainly for the custom
emoticons on the Live Messenger protocol, although when I send other people
animated emoticons I'd saved, they don't animate for either me or the person
to whom I'm sending them regardless of their OS or what messenger they're
using.

At the moment, I'm using Rhythmbox.  I'm not exactly tied to it emotionally,
but it seems to be nice.  It's never done anything I didn't like, so if
nothing changes, I'll probably keep using it.  It would be nice if it would
automatically save songs to its own music folder for the sake of the rare
occasion when I forget to mount my external drive before I launch it (the
drive happens to have about 700 MP3s on it, among other things).

Before I go any further, I wanna make myself very clear: this is NOT a
feature request!  But if it influences anybody who reads this to realise any
similar features, you're of course free to do so without asking me or
mentioning my name.

Now that that's out of the way, are there any messengers out there that will
display in the status message area the song currently playing on any
(specific) music players out there?  If I can use custom emoticons with Live
Messenger/MSN Messenger users, maybe it would be worth a shot some rainy
afternoon when I have nothing better to do =)