top and bottom posting

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 10 19:30:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:45:40 -0300
Derek Broughton wrote:

> > I'm guessing they do it that way because most companies (certainly the
> > ones I've dealt with) do it that way, not because they design the stuff
> > poorly, but because they have a different approach to information.
>
> But that's an entirely different use-case from a mailing list.  It's
> analogous to their snail-mail habit of stapling copies of all prior
> correspondence to the back of their reply.  This is not a bad idea in
> business mail, but it's a lousy way to carry on a discussion.

Well, of course one can define it as different on the ground that one is a
mailing list and the other isn't, but I feel I am having a discussion with
the company, e.g. on an issue with something I've bought from them, just as
I have a discussion with people on the mailing list about fixing a problem
with software.  To me what's going on is the same. It's just there are
different practices in the two cases.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber