Do I need a new hd?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 10 16:53:07 UTC 2009

Knapp wrote:
>> If there is data to be recovered, this is a very bad idea. Â First step
>> is to try to copy off any files
>
> Agreed.
>
>> , second is simple hard drive diagnostics
>> by a technician,
>
> We are the technicians! Why don't you explain the test you have in
> mind and help the dude learn?

1. Because I've typed all that at least 5 times the past year, but I'm
not clever enough to save the spiel for pasting.

2. If there really is data to be recovered from a failing system, the
last thing anyone should do is dick around with all the bad advice that
will inevitably be disseminated by this list between the good advice.
This isn't the time for experimentation, unless you haven nothing to lose.

3. Us technicians have to make a living too :)