accepting files viatftp

stan stanb at panix.com
Tue Sep 8 19:23:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 01:10:45PM -0400, stan wrote:
> I need to change out a couple of old switches. The only way to save the
> configuration files for these units is to have them tftp the file to a tftp
> server. I am trying to use a 9.04 machine for this.
>
> I have installed the tftpd package. I am running xinetd, but I am running
> it in inetd compatibilty mode, so the default line in /etc/inetd.conf
> should sufice, i think. Reading the man page for tftpd it states that the
> only way you can write a file is if a file by the same name exists, and is
> writable by the world.
>
> If Iunderstand the default Ubuntu configuration, the home directory for
> tftpd should be /srv/tftp. I have created the following file thre:
>
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 2009-09-08 12:53 todo
>
> Yet, when I try to put this file, using tftp as a test, I get the following
> results:
>
> tftp> trace
> Packet tracing on.
> tftp> put todo
> sent WRQ <file=todo, mode=netascii>
> received ACK <block=0>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> received ACK <block=0>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> received ACK <block=0>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> sent DATA <block=1, 155 bytes>
> Transfer timed out.
>
> Anyone see what I am doing wrong?

More information here. It seems thattftpd is not getting invoked by inetd,
or at leat that is what I think. I tried conecting to the machine providing
the tftp service from another machine status says it is connected:

tftp> status
Connected to plabws1.meadwestvaco.com.

But I can't find the process on the server achine:

root at plabws1:/var/log# ps -ef | grep tftp
root      4671 19270  0 15:21 pts/1    00:00:00 grep tftp

But xinetd put the following in /var/log/daemon.log. when I restarted it:

Sep  8 12:40:50 plabws1 xinetd[21727]: added service tftp [file=/etc/inetd.conf] [line=5]

Strange.

programs.