Dual Monitors...

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Tue Sep 8 12:48:39 UTC 2009

Verde Denim wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Michael Comperchio <mcmprch at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I'm going bats! I have a Lenovo G550. Works great. Installed Ubuntu, not
>> problems with anything .... until.... I acquired a second monitor... HP
>> w1907. It works great under ...er... windows... Get a dual display with
>> extended desktop and different and appropriate resolutions... under
>> Ubuntu I have issues (Mobil intel 4 series express chipset family). Both
>> Gnome and KDE just do want to work well with dual display. I can get
>> extended desktop, but the laptop screen is 'shrunk' to the same
>> resolution as the external display.... I dunno how better to explain
>> this, at this point I'm just frustrated.... I shouldn't be, everything
>> else has worked great so far! I really don't want to have to boot to
>> windows on my desk, and get to use KDE everywhere else!
>>
>> and something else, can anyone tell me how to have T'Bird keep it's data
>> on my NTFS drive so that I can have the same stuff in T'Bird not matter
>> which side I have to boot to?
>>
>> Thanks you great and awesome penguins...
>>
>> Michael Comperchio
>> mcmprch at gmail.com
>> 860 480 8695
>>
>> Mike
>>
> Can you post the settings you have in the dual display setup? I have a
> 64-bit server running with dual-displays (a Dell 19" and a 52" plasma TV)
> both running with different res and it works fine.
>
> Jack
>

>> --

Should create a shared ntfs partition (or just set the current to auto
mount) inside your fstab once that is completed then; from the linux
side of the house you can:

assumptions:
ntfs mount point = /NTFSdata
your_mail_dir = random characters (kjasdfjljsd.default)
thunderbird is NOT running

    mv ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/your_mail_dir.default
/NTFSdata/your_mail_dir.default

then

    ln -s /NTFSdata/your_mail_dir.default
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/your_mail_dir.default

 From the windows side:

*I am not sure how Thunderbird sets itself up in windows so I speak
generally.  Another may have better instructions.*

Assuming a similar directory exists and Thunderbird is NOT running.

    right click the existing_program_dir.default and rename to
existing_program_dir.default.jic
    right click the existing profile.ini file and rename to profile.ini.jic

    right click /NTFSdata/your_mail_dir.default->Create Shortcut

move the resulting short cut to the where the existing mail directory
exists.  I believe the program will re-write the profile.ini file.

Hope this is helpful.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."