Samba on Jaunty

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Mon Sep 7 17:49:10 UTC 2009

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Mike,

>>> Has been working fine forever... From 7.04 to 9.04
>>> Only changes I did to /etc/samba/smb.conf are :
>>>
>>> workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
>>>
>>> Make sure your diretory has
>>>

>>> [share]
>>>     comment = Some comment on your directory
>>>     path = /your/directory/path
>>>     browseable = yes
>>>     public = no
>>>     writable = yes
>>>     locking = yes
>>>

>>> Browseable is important... :)
>>>

>> The config file looks correct
>>
> Did you try first with just the IP address of your server :
> \\192.168.x.x\SharedDirectory\ to see if THAT works?
>
> Ah... you DID turn OFF the linux firewall AND turn ON the SMB service? :)
>
> Gilles.

depending on your config you may need to add the samba user:

sudo smbpasswd -a [user-name]

I believe.  This is what is took for me unless I made the service wide
open with:
#   security = share

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."