Samba on Jaunty

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:55:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Mike A<mlnx at mho.com> wrote:
> Has anyone got Samba to work on Jaunty.  Specifically I set up samba to
> share a folder on my linux box with  my windows workgroup. The PCs are
> all in the same workgroup and not running firewalls.  My machine does
> not show on any PC and If I click the Window Network icon on my box I
> get this error.
> Unable to mount location
> failed to retrieve share list from server

Can you map a drive on a Windows box without the GUI?

with:
net use <drive_letter>: \\<ip_address> <password> /user:<user> /persistent:no

where:
net = C:\Windows\System32\net.exe (in case it is not in the PATH)
drive_letter = unused drive letter on the Win box
ip_address = ip address of the Samba box
user and password = user and password on the Samba box

I have always found Windows quirky when browsing a network with
explorer. The above should enable you to determine whether the Samba
settings (and the firewall settings) on the Samba box are correct.