virtualbox wont show USB ports in the guest OS

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Sep 4 19:07:44 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/02/2009 02:53 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> Joep,
>>>
>>> Did you ever get this sorted out?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>> Gerry,
>> Short answer: No.
>> Longer answer: I have a lame disk on my other system and have to sort
>> that out first ( bring all critical programs to the other system) and
>> then MUST sort the problem as the other will become my production machine.
>> One of the possibilities is that I have a cripple virtualbox because
>> when I installed it and ran it the first time it froze the system (X+KB
>> +mouse) and I could only get it working by killing virtualbox froma
>> remote system. But suddenly - by some magic?? - iy starte to work. But I
>> will remove it first completely and do a fresh reinstall. Or do you have
>> another suggestion? On the virtualbox list I have had a lot of
>> suggestions dealing with udev and installing an usbfs but until now it
>> has had no effect. Tomorrow I'm away and I hope to find time on friday
>> to solve the problem. I will report here when I have made progress.
>> Thanks for your interest.
>> Joep
>
> Reinstalling may indeed be the best option. Let us know how it goes & if
> you need help off-list drop me a note.
>
> Gary

Gary, and everybody else who invested time and thoughts to my problem
with USB ports, as an update I can tell that the problem is -
practically solved.
The solution: removing virtualbox completely and reinstalling it from
the repository as I had it originally installed directly from the SUN site.
I now see my special device and the W XP program runs and is collecting
data.
The only small problem I have is that an USB-stick can not be tagged but
a small window pops up and tells me that there is something amiss with
usbfs and I can correct this. I assume some permissions are still not
correct.
So Derek, with respect to your webcam maybe something in usbfs need to
be corrected. I remember vaguely that several rules can be adapted to
solve permission problems.
Joep