[SOLVED] Re: error creating the child process for this terminal

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Sep 3 18:50:33 UTC 2009

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/338071/comments/11>

>> Reinstalling initscripts just may do the tick - good suggestion.
>>
> Could this be a pre-curser to init issues since Ubunutu is moving to
> upstart?  Just curious.

Leaving it in fstab potentially could be - I'm not sure where in the init
process the mounts from /etc/fstab get performed.  The one in mountdevsubfs
should get executed at the right time, because it's got the upstart metadata
in there:

$ head /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mountdevsubfs
# Required-Start:    mountkernfs
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Start:      udev

I _think_ udev has to be up before the fstab mounts are performed - so this
would happen earlier.  Certainly since Sam couldn't run gdm until devpts was
mounted, and gdm (actually X) also relies on udev, getting devpts done in
mountdevsubfs guarantees that it is done early enough.
--
derek