Bnx2 driver too old

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Sep 2 05:17:59 UTC 2009

Julien CHAMPSEIX wrote:
> bnx2 : driver used for network controller

> So I wanna know if an new version of this drivers will be update or
> available fastly in order to comment on my 'bypass' into the
> rc.local.

Probably there will be no new verion released for 8.04. It is the same
for most programs, they stay at the released version to not break
existing installations. There may be security bug fixes but usually no
new versions of packages.

However, someone may have backported the driver and it is available if
you enable the hardy-backports repository. See
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports>

> Apparently on Debian Etch or Ubuntu Karmic it allready fixed and an
> package bnx2 is available.

Well, then you may consider upgrading to Karmic when it is released
which is less than 2 months ahead.

Nils