Enabling mail program

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Tue Sep 1 17:05:42 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 11:32:43 am Rashkae wrote:
> Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> > I installed mailutils to enable command line email for scripts on my
> > system. As a test, I ran
> >
> > 	mail -s "Test Message" michael at weblore.com < /dev/null
> >
> > It seemed to run without error, but I never received the test message.
> > Obviously, I need to do something else to get the mail program working.
> > Would someone be so kind as to let me in on the magic that I'm missing?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > ---Michael
>
> Mail would have handed the message to sendmail (which is probably
> provided by either postfix or exim on your system).. check which MTA you
> have installed and examine its log.  There should also be a mailq
> program that will let you check if the message is still sitting in queue.

I don't know why I forget to look at logs. Regardless: I have sendmail on my
system. I don't see a logfile for it in /var/log. There are files for mail, but
they're empty.

Reconfiguring sendmail sounds reasonable. I'm pretty sure Comcast blocks port
25. Could you point me to something on the sendmail configuration? Also, where
would the sendmail logfiles be?

Thanks again.