Enabling mail program

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Sep 1 16:32:43 UTC 2009

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I installed mailutils to enable command line email for scripts on my system.
> As a test, I ran
>
> 	mail -s "Test Message" michael at weblore.com < /dev/null
>
> It seemed to run without error, but I never received the test message.
> Obviously, I need to do something else to get the mail program working. Would
> someone be so kind as to let me in on the magic that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks in advance
> ---Michael

Mail would have handed the message to sendmail (which is probably
provided by either postfix or exim on your system).. check which MTA you
have installed and examine its log.  There should also be a mailq
program that will let you check if the message is still sitting in queue.

Many ISP's will 'helpfully' block port 25, in which case this just
simply won't work until you properly configure your MTA for a
'smarthost' configuration (which it to say, the MTA needs to hand off
the message to the ISP MTA rather than trying to deliver it itself)

the < /dev/null should not have been a problem. That will simply send a
message with a Subject, but nothing in the body.