X-server Bug - Severe

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Oct 30 01:20:25 UTC 2009

Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Default Layout"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>     Load           "glx"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option         "Xinerama" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "kbd"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     VendorName     "Unknown"
>     ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
>     HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
>     VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     Option         "NoLogo" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce 7100 GS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Default Screen"
>     Device         "Configured Video Device"
>     Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
>     DefaultDepth    24
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Device0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     Option         "TwinView" "0"
>     Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
>     Option         "metamodes" "1680x1050 +0+0"
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection

I see lots of stuff in there that probably no longer belongs in modern X
config file.

Try making a backup of the xorg.conf file, then simply empty it.  Or use
the grub menu to start recovery mode, and from the menu, choose the
option to fix X.  Then when the system restarts, you can use the Ubuntu
hardware manager to enable the Nvidia driver.  Hopefully htat will fix
your woes.