Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix: not Live???

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Thu Oct 29 18:45:59 UTC 2009

Marco Antonio Abreu-3 wrote:

> you have to create an flash drive with the image. More details at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

Yes, I realize that Marco. However, this page you refer to
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles> indicates that
one needs an IMG file to create a bootable USB stick:

[...]
Ubuntu is distributed over the Internet as two types of files: CD image
files, called ISOs, and flash image files, called IMGs. To install Ubuntu
from flash media, you first need to write the downloaded IMG image to your
flash device.
[...]
The GettingUbuntu page has links to the IMG and ISO image files, as well as
other methods of GettingUbuntu.
[...]

However, I don't see an IMG file for the netbook remix on, for example, my
local mirror: <http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/linux/ubuntu-releases/9.10/>
which lists:

ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso	23:59 28-10-09	713887744
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso.torrent	13:53 29-10-09	27470
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso.zsync	13:53 29-10-09	1394511
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.list	23:59 28-10-09	4243
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.manifest

According to usb-creator program, the above .ISO file which I just
downloaded is not bootable.

On this page <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick>,
it gives instructions for using usb-creator, which I assume is Ubuntu's
equivalent of Fedora's liveusb-creator:

[...]
It should do everything needed you just need to have a live cd in you CD-Rom
or show the usb-creator the ISO image of it and the rest of the process is
automatic!
[...]

So, unless I mistaken, I need a an .IMG file or an .ISO file of a live disk
to boot and/or install the netbook remix. But I don't see one in the
downloads.

I think I know what I am doing here; using  liveusb-creator I have just
created a bootable USB stick with the Fedora 12 beta; the file I downloaded
and copied to the USB stick was: F12-Beta-i686-Live.iso. That boots. Now I
would like to take a look at Ubuntu on my Eee PC.

Thanks.

-----
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam