boot loader not installed

fyrbrds at netscape.net fyrbrds at netscape.net
Thu Oct 29 03:35:39 UTC 2009

  >SATA RAID is set up by the BIOS so you do not need to insmod anything.<

 This is not true. While it is true that SATA RAID is setup within the BIOS, you still need drivers to tell the OS how to access the physical sectors across the individual drives. After installing Ubuntu on my SATA RAID, booting failed because the kernel says that it cannot locate the root file system. The error basically says the partition table indicates the root fs drive takes more sectors than are physically present on the disk. It is a 3 disk RAID5 with 3x 150GB WD Raptors. If I shift-pgup through the kernel output, it is seeing the 3 drives as sda, sdb, and sdd but not as 1 drive. During the live cd install, it saw the SATA RAID as a single 300GB drive and could read and mount the NTFS file system, that I let it overwrite to install Ubuntu on.

The install recognized the raid5 as /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae1. Using the tips you gave, I figured out how to mount this file system and chroot. I used this procedure as listed in the install guide:
mount -t auto /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae1 /media/raid -o acl,user_xattr
mount --bind /dev /media/raid/dev
chroot /media/raid

One obvious problem is that the folder /dev/mapper/ does not exist on this file system and there is no device nvidia_fhgbbaae. This device should contain
/dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae1 mounted as /
/dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae5 mounted as swap
/dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae6 mounted as /tmp
/dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae7 mounted as /home

None of these mappings exist on the root fs.  Also, as you pointed out, the install for some reason decides not to install grub when it deals with a SATA RAID. This seems to be the case whenever it detects one even when it is not the install drive. I did a second install on a different drive as I pointed out. It is a single drive with space partitioned after my Vista partition. Ubuntu still did not install grub on this drive during that install either. The command you suggested:

#dpkg -l grub-pc
  output:

| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name            Version         Description
+++-===============-===============-==============================================
un  grub-pc         <none>          (no description available)

I did the install as you suggested.

aptitude update
aptitude install grub-pc grub-common

this worked.  the /boot/grub directory is now populated, before was empty. It has a grub.cfg I got from http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID modified to look like this:

set timeout=20
set default=0
menuentry "Linux on RAID" {
        insmod dmraid
        set root=(nvidia_fhgbbaae1)
        linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae1
        initrd /initrd.img
}
Then I ran:
#grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae1
grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `nvidia_fhgbbaae1'

This config still does not boot. The kernel cannot find the root fs. during the live cd session I can see dmraid_45 when I do lsmod. As long as this module is loaded, the kernel can see the array and can mount the fs.  I need the help of a grub expert to go further. What is missing?

John