boot loader not installed

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:33:07 UTC 2009

>> Forgot in my last email:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
>> "Recover Grub 2 via LiveCD" is at about 75% down the page.
>> I would "sudo su -" to avoid all the sudos.
>> You will also need to run
>> aptitude update
>> aptitude install grub-pc grub-common
>> after the chroot.

> Those commands don't work from a live cd right? When I tried to install grub
> manually after the install it halted with an error. Basically refused to
> install. I don't think I can install to the installed system from the live
> cd. I it is possible, what would be the necessary steps?

> Your last email also helps. I tried a wubi install around 6 months ago and
> had a heck of a time getting the raid to work then too. Finally found dmraid
> which worked. I didn't remember the name of it so thanks. I assumed that
> since the Ubuntu install found the raid5 and partitioned and installed on it
> that it would take care of all that automatically. 4 sleepless nights later
> it's clear that was a bad assumption.

> Of course it would also be nice it the Install coders did not allow install
> on unsupported drives. Previous versions of Ubuntu never recognized software
> raid configs in the install. When I saw it fully accessible in the
> partitioning phase of the install I got all happy and couldn't resist. Of
> course the standard drive didn't work either.

> Another question: Isn't it possible to put insmod commands after
> root=/dev/xxx? Could I not instruct the kernel to install the dmraid module
> in the boot parameters?

These commands work when booted from a Live CD but only after you
chroot. Once you are chrooted, it will be as if you are booted into
your HD. You could even "su - <yourusername>" and you will have access
to your bash history. So when you run "aptitude update; aptitude
install ..." you will install Grub 2 on your HD.

I do not think that your drive is unsupported. Grub 2 is not installed
if you choose the SATA RAID option; not quite the same thing. I assume
that if you choose "no" to the SATA RAID, Grub 2 is installed.

SATA RAID is set up by the BIOS so you do not need to insmod anything.