Sporadic freezes and frustration

Anthony P. techie74354 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 23:19:59 UTC 2009

I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 9.04 after getting fed up with Windows and refusing to go to Windows 7. I have a pretty generic Acer 5100 laptop with a 1.6Ghz processor and 3GB of memory.

For some reason, and this happens a lot, when I boot the system, the system will freeze as it's playing the startup sound and just stay in a fast loop where it froze playing that portion of the sound again and again. The only way to stop it is to force the machine off by holding down the power button. If I let it sit there, it will eventually change to a screen with strips going up and down but still the system is nonresponsive.

But this also happens when I am sometimes just working. The system will all of a sudden go to a screen with stripes and is totally nonresponsive. Again, the only way to regain control is to force it off and restart. Just now, I had to restart 4 times before I could get a usable computer again.

I'm almost at the point of reinstalling. But I thought I'd come here and ask for help first. Can anyone clue me in as to what might be going on?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony