boot loader not installed

fyrbrds at netscape.net fyrbrds at netscape.net
Mon Oct 26 01:51:07 UTC 2009

 Those commands don't work from a live cd right? When I tried to install grub manually after the install it halted with an error. Basically refused to install. I don't think I can install to the installed system from the live cd. I it is possible, what would be the necessary steps?

Your last email also helps. I tried a wubi install around 6 months ago and had a heck of a time getting the raid to work then too. Finally found dmraid which worked. I didn't remember the name of it so thanks. I assumed that since the Ubuntu install found the raid5 and partitioned and installed on it that it would take care of all that automatically. 4 sleepless nights later it's clear that was a bad assumption.

Of course it would also be nice it the Install coders did not allow install on unsupported drives. Previous versions of Ubuntu never recognized software raid configs in the install. When I saw it fully accessible in the partitioning phase of the install I got all happy and couldn't resist. Of course the standard drive didn't work either.

Another question: Isn't it possible to put insmod commands after root=/dev/xxx? Could I not instruct the kernel to install the dmraid module in the boot parameters?