Dual monitors in karmic

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 01:20:19 UTC 2009

I've been running a Jaunty (KDE) on a laptop with integrated intel 4500 graphics on a 1200*800 display with a 1680*1050 external monitor. I have a line in the xorg.conf file to create a virtual desktop of 2680*1050 and have the external monitor on the right of the laptop. When I copied this xorg.conf file to Karmic RC, it doesn't seem to be read; I only get a cloned display with either the small monitor displaying part of the screen or the smaller image stretched across the larger screen.

Is there something fundamentally different about xrandr 1.3 from 1.2, the new X driver, a bug in the RC or something else? I have to believe this is not a regression, but rather a configuration issue. How does one configure for dual monitors under xrandr 1.3?

Paul