Failed installs

David N. Lombard dnl at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 23 22:47:35 UTC 2009

Bob Hickey wrote:
> Instead of the blue screen I get nothing. Just fans. No mouse keyboard
> or display. I tried other power supplies but no good. I"m retired and
> just do this for a hobby; mostly I just give them away.  Bob

Do they have LEDs that show the state of the PS?

If you're going to do this, you need to very important and cheap tools.

1) A PS tester.  LEDs indicate good/bad for every voltage supply

2) A POST debugger.  These show the POST code in case the BIOS fails;
this assumes you have a (partially) functional PS.

3) memtest86.  A Linux stand-alone that tests memory.

Clearly, you need various other diagnostic software, but the above
should get you to the point of being able to run other stuff or just
assigning the system to "parts".

BTW, in the future, at least preface subjects such as this with "OT" for
"Off topic".  :)

--
David N. Lombard