Network manager- oop!

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Oct 22 13:34:32 UTC 2009

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Trying to get my network manager icon to load, I decided to uninstall from
> synaptic manager.  I uninstalled the whole thingy and now I can't connect to
> the internet at all!   How do I reinstall it?  Thanks
>
> gary

Oops indeed.

You mentioned before you have a wired connection.  I'm further assuming
you have a 'router' that manages the connection to your ISP, so all you
should need to do is issue the command:

sudo dhclient eth0

>From a terminal to activate an internet connection.  From there you can
re-install network manager from synaptic.

In your next fix-it attempt, if network manager icon on desktop still
misbehaves. I would suggest creating a new user (with admin rights) and
log off then on as the new user.  This isn't suggest as a permanent fix,
it will confirm whether or not the problem is something broken in your
system, or simply a misbehaving configuration file in your user profile.