Format program? - deleting unwanted instances of Ubuntu OS

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 00:32:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM, thomas <valhalla2100 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The answers to this question would benefit me to.
>
> I have the same situation. In my case I have two hard disks and
> every instance of my attempts to install Ubuntu is listed (a screen
> full). I would like to have just the Vista and the used Ubuntu.
>
> My hard disks are approximately 250 GB each.
>
> I assume that each of the many instances control hard drive space
> that someday might be of use for me.

You could try GParted CD Live to delete all the unwanted partitions, but:

- Be sure to determine exactly the partitions you want preserved. You
will need at least the OS partition and /home, /swap, Vista and any
other data partition you might have created.

- Remember that when you delete a partition, you change the assignment
number of every partition created later

(At GParted: /dev/sda1, /sda2, /sda3, etc. At Grub - menu.lst (hd0,0),
(hd0,1), etc.)

thus you'll probably have learn how to set ou reinstall Grub *before*
deleting any partition otherwise you won't be able to reboot your
system.

- Also remember that the procedure for resetting ou reinstalling Grub
is different for Grub Legacy and Grub2.

Good Luck,

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W