Apache Maven to be removed from Karmic?

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Fri Oct 16 15:19:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:09:41AM -0400, Alvin Thompson wrote:
> Currently, the Apache Maven package doesn't work due to the libplexus
> packages (a Maven dependency) being synced from Debian but not Maven
> itself.  According to the bug reports [1][2], this isn't going to be
> fixed for Karmic and the Maven package will most likely just be dropped.
> 1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/427539
> 2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/417164
> 3. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/450554

Thanks for linking to the source of great information on the complex
issues here.  The bugs in launchpad are where developers generally
focus most of their attention, so there is high quality updated linked
information there.

Note in https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/427539 that there is a Maven2
package from Artur reported to work in karmic, deployed now in a
personal package archive (ppa):

 Workaround is install maven2 from ppa:
 https://launchpad.net/~uninea/+archive/java
 Please test it and give feedback.

And there still seems to possibly be a chance of getting that in
karmic if people can test it out and help get it built in a way that
works properly within the ubuntu build process.

If that doesn't work out, please recognize how hard it is to put
together a project like Ubuntu with over 24000 packages, many at the
cutting edge, most maintained by loosely-coupled volunteers, on a
clockwork schedule that can't possibly match the schedules of all the
component upstream development projects.  We can always use new
testers, developers, and folks to get involved early in a release
cycle to look out for issues like this.

Thanks,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/