Upgrading

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Thu Oct 15 04:08:16 UTC 2009

Keith Clark wrote:
> Instead of using sudo apt-get upgrade and trying to upgrade over my
> wireless connection, would it be possible to download the .iso, burn
> that to a usb thumbdrive and use that to sudo apt-get upgrade?
>
> I have found upgrading on a wireless connection to be perilous at the
> best of times.
>
> Keith

From:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the
Internet.

   1.      Download the alternate installation CD
   2.      Burn the ISO to a CD and insert it into the CD-ROM drive of
the computer to be upgraded.
          *  If the ISO file is on the computer to be upgraded, you
could avoid wasting a CD by mounting the ISO as a drive with a command like:

            sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso
/media/cdrom0

   3. A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade
using that CD.
   4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run
the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

kdesudo "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

This is for upgrading to 9.04 so adjust accordingly.  Hope this helps.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."