Upgrading

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Wed Oct 14 20:10:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:43:53 -0400
Keith Clark <keithclark at k-wbookworm.com> wrote:

> Instead of using sudo apt-get upgrade and trying to upgrade over my
> wireless connection, would it be possible to download the .iso, burn
> that to a usb thumbdrive and use that to sudo apt-get upgrade?

If you mean regular updates, no, the Jaunty .iso is the same as it was
when released in April. If you mean a distribution upgrade then yes.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD/DVD

> I have found upgrading on a wireless connection to be perilous at the
> best of times.

Apt is designed to deal with network outages, interrupting apt-get
upgrade during download should be fine. Just re-run the command, it
will know which packages were completely retrieved and which were not.

Dave