HELP ME I'm stuck in Windows!!!

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Oct 13 08:01:49 UTC 2009

Michael White wrote:
> [...]

Okay Mike, let's start, I'll try not to sound like an ass myself :)
Assumptions: grub-legacy, ubuntu partition is not mucked up by gparted.

Nils' referred page is quite challenging for somebody new. If you can
follow that, then go with it. Otherwise, and only otherwise, see if you
can follow this.
Boot up livecd, open  a terminal
$ sudo blkid

copy to klipper or some note. Can you make out where your ubuntu
partition is?  Let's call it /dev/sdax

go to dolphin, go to your sdax ubuntu partition and at /boot/grub, open
up menu.lst

Modify the entry with the right UUID number (just replace
root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxx with root=UUID=yyyyyyyyyyyy from the blkid output.

Also just check if the root=(hd0,y) line correspond with your sda number
from the blkid output. Important note =  sdax is (hd0,x-1)

Then back at terminal.
sudo grub

you will get a prompt like
 >grub

Enter
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1  { without the 'grub>' }

make sure output has the ubuntu partition output (hd0,x-1)

Enter
grub> root (hd0,x-1)       { not x-1, but real number }
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Mike, not over yet, you can now reboot without livecd to Ubuntu but not
to your windows. Now reboot to Ubuntu, (best you copy in hard copy your
new UUID number (just in case, unlikely, but just be prepared)

When booted into Ubuntu, open terminal,
sudo update-grub
(I may be wrong,not on grub-legacy anymore, could be 'grub-update', but
definitely one of the two, no harm if wrong choice)

Recheck if windows entry is there too. and all ubuntu entries has the
new UUID number as well.

That's it. Good luck.

Regards,
Goh Lip