problems upgrading to linux-image-2.6.24-24.61 generic fails

deva seetharam tagsense at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 11:27:00 UTC 2009

hello,
i am running ubuntu hardy and i was running linux kernel 2.6.24 (.60, i think) and when i tried to upgrade to 2.6.24-24.61, the dpkg process fails with the following error messages. it seems like it fails after running update-grub. but, when i run update-grub manually, i don't get any errors. how can i solve this? pls. let me know.

thanks
dave

Setting up linux-image-2.6.24-24-generic (2.6.24-24.61) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic
Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.24-24.60 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.24-24.60 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Running postinst hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... found: /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
User postinst hook script [/sbin/update-grub] exited with value 10
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.24-24-generic (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 linux-image-2.6.24-24-generic