Empathy and VOIP on Karmic

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 9 18:24:41 UTC 2009

On 10/09/2009 10:38 AM, Tony Arnold wrote:
> NoOp,
>
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1920
>
> This is useful and I will give it a try. But it kind of implies that
> Empathy is not a replacement for Ekiga as there seems to be no way to
> use my VoIP provider (sipgate, in my case). Maybe it's not supposed to
> be, but then why is Ekiga no longer installed by default?
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

I suspect this is the reason:

<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Karmic>
<quote>
Don't install ekiga by default, it's not an application most users are
running, take lot of cd space and having it in universe will make
community work easier
</quote>

You might also find these of interest:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmpathyVsPidginUsability
[dated, but still might be worth a read]
<http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/06/empathy-will-replace-pidgin-and-ekiga.html>
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7965708&postcount=827>
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-karmic-messaging-and-communication-selection>

You can still install & use ekiga (haven't tried it myself), but if
possible please also try empathy & report issues so that they can be
fixed as soon as possible. As you can see from the above, empathy will
be the default in karmic.