Help with installation

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Oct 6 23:56:33 UTC 2009

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- On Tue, 10/6/09, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> > While Derek and others are way
>> > too quick to jump on his case using degrading comments
>> and not
>> > appreciating the fact that if they would just correct
>> any error(s) and not
>> > criticize Karl the thread wouldn't go on and on
>> OT.
>>
>> For heaven's sake.  In the first place, this was the
>> first time I bothered in ages.
>
> How do you define ages? I've seen you and others bash Karl every month on
> the list.

More than that.  Karl has been in my kill file for months.  A kontact crash
last week deleted the whole kill file, putting him unfortunately back into
my view.

> My point is that, in case you missed it, is that you can and so
> the others correct any errors in a nice way that doesn't offend.  Not the
> case in MHO.

My point, in case you missed it, is that I tried that method.  I tried it
_many_ times.  Karl refused any attempts at conciliation.  So no more Mister
Nice Guy.

> I began by _very_ politely pointing out to him when
>> he was wrong, and pointing out that his heart was in the
>> right place,
> I recall the comment but...
>> but his knowledge level wasn't up to the task.  He got
>> abusive and refused to ever accept that he was wrong.

> I don't think him being wrong was the issue with Karl
> at this point, he was responding to the criticism with
> like manner.  And I do think you know that and so do
> the others, IMNSHO.

Then obviously you DON'T recall the comment.  I tried to be very diplomatic.
It failed.  So now, when he forces himself to my attention, he gets flamed.
Tough.

> You are not right, IMO.  No one who has established his
> own business and sold it a a million dollars or more
> would be classified as an idiot and I have no reason
> to doubt him on this.

I have no reason to believe it.  If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a
duck, it's highly likely to be a duck.

> Anbd Karl has presented some good advice along with some not.

I've never disagreed.  I even try to rub his ego a bit when he gets it right
- but he still routinely presents completely idiotic advice, and when
confronted by someone who actually knows what they're talking about, will
insult them and insist he's the expert.  That needs to be countered.

> You wont see him take
> any offense to my comments and I don't think he would to you or
> the others if not for the sarcasm, offensive and humiliating

That's too naive to answer again

> that matter.  It just happened that I decided to reply to your
> post, which you conveniently decided to snip your part,

There is only one possible response to that sort of inanity, but I'm trying
to be polite.  I SNIP the text to which I'm not responding. That's
politeness. If you have an issue, feel free to quote the text I missed, I
certainly won't be offended.  There is no "conveniently decided to snip".

> I apologize if
> you feel it was directed to you solely as it was not my intent.

How can you POSSIBLY say that?  You _named_ me.  Not just that, while you
claimed there were a group of us at fault, _I_ was the only one you named.
Clearly it was your intent.  And, no, I didn't snip that part...
--
derek