Grub 2 in Jaunty/Karmic can break double boot configuration

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 05:13:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thanks for that. My install was an Alpha 6 on a clean drive with a
> second drive w/WinXPPro on it. On that install I also had issue with
> Grub/Grub 2 (see my "[Karmic] Heads up" thread from 9/23/2009 - see:
>
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/196089>
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/196089>
>
> Tomorrow I'll pull out my other test system that has jaunty drives on it
> & test the 'upgrade' to see what I discover. I'll also reinstall the
> Alpha 6 drive with a clean Beta to see what I find.
>
> Hopefully we (karmic users/testers) can help sort out some of the issues
> before the final release so that other/new users won't bork their
> systems :-)
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to providing the details/info.
>
> Gary

Gary,

I followed your thread when posted, thanks.

Although a similar bug was present on some alpha versions (Karmic
install crash in the presence of another OS) apparently it has already
been addressed. I'm kind of puzzled. Could a fresh install on (hd0,0)
still crash if another OS or probably grub1 is present? I can't even
figure if I'm really facing a bug.

Except for the missing grub2, and the inability to reboot, my Karmic
install apparently went fine.

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W