Setting Up a Router:

Nathan Bahn nathan.bahn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 02:29:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 16:14 -0500, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> > Colin Law wrote:
> > >
> > > But _do_ set up encryption after you have it working or your
> > > neighbours and passers by will steal your bandwidth.
> >
> > It's worse than that... someone could use your bandwidth for something
> > illegal, then comes the police taking all of your computer equipment and
> > holding it until they can be sure that you did not post kiddie-porn or
> > threats to officials, or any number of things.
>
> Even if this DID happen, you'd have a helluvalot easier time convincing
> somebody that it wasn't you doing it if you have an unencrypted
> connection and somebody used it, as opposed to if you had a passworded,
> encrypted, mac-filtered setup, and somebody still broke in, eh?
>
> I just did away with the wireless in my home and set up a solid
> hard-wired connection for every computer in the house, and then some...
> Now I just wish I had a spare 'puter to set up between the switch and
> the modem to act as a firewall, and a filter (the modem has it's own
> firewall, but I'm not convinced of it's security...)
>
> my .02
>
> --
> Andrew

A.F.--

I understand completely your distrust of WiFi security.  I have a Westell
527W (a Verizon model, don't you know) and I FINALLY became concerned enough
to flash the firmware so that WPA2 (AES) -- as opposed to WPA -- would
become an option.  OK, so after I had done that I noticed that on the
browser's security pages that WEP was -- get this -- RECOMMENDED OVER
WPA!!!  There HAD to be a reason for such stupidity and before dawn I found
out what it was:  Verizon DOES *NOT* support WPA/WPA2.  Yes, that's correct
-- Verizon support staff are NOT *TRAINED IN the WPA/WPA2 procedures!*
Unbelievable.  But then, they didn't tell me that BSSID and MAC filtering
were useless, so maybe I *shouldn't* be surprised.

--N.O.B.