Karmic Alpha 6/Beta

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 2 17:14:20 UTC 2009

On 10/02/2009 12:49 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Donnerstag, den 01.10.2009, 22:12 -0400 schrieb David Curtis:
>> I would also assume that update-manager's enhanced capabilities are for
>> 'stable' release upgrades only. Colour me surprised if I'm wrong.
> *puts down the paintbrush*
>
> yes, you are, in some transitions that happen where packages are removed
> from the seeds and replaced by other packages, update-manager does an
> essential job on keeping your system clean and remove the unneeded old
> stuff. if you use apt, make sure to be aware of the seed changes (by
> following the karmic-changes or ubuntu-devel mailing lists) and do the
> removals manually (specifically between A6 and beta there was a lot of
> changes in the boot process and a lot of packages were removed or
> replaced by others)
>
> so especially in development releases make sure to know whats going on
> or use update-manager ...
>
> ciao
> 	oli

It appears that a _clean_ install of Alpha 6, fully updated (via
Update-Manager), will be the same as a Beta install.

However, a system that went from jaunty to karmic Alpha 6 will not,
unless GRUB 2 was manually installed following the upgrade & kept
updated - see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing

I just checked on my clean Alpha 6 install & it has the latest GRUB 2:

$ apt-cache policy grub-common
grub-common:
  Installed: 1.97~beta3-1ubuntu6
  Candidate: 1.97~beta3-1ubuntu6
  Version table:
 *** 1.97~beta3-1ubuntu6 0

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2

So I think that folks with this type of install (clean install w/GRUB 2)
can save the electrons & download load on the Beta mirrors/servers.