Setting Up a Router:

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:18:39 UTC 2009

Joseph wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:

>>> It goes through the router to my other computer (windows), but not this
>>> one (ubuntu).
>>>
>>> Detlef Lechner gave me a URL.  I found instructions there.  It said:
>>>
>>> Go into your router software - 192.168.1.1
>>> On the Setup tab, select the subtab: Basic Setup
>>>
>>>  From the pull down list box "Automatic Configuration -DHCP"
>>> should be selected.
>>>
>>> Router Name: WRT54G2
>>> Host Name: leave blank
>>> Domain Name: leave blank
>>> MTU: Select "Manual"
>>> Size: change to 1490
>>>
>>> Now select the "Wireless" tab
>>> Wireless Configuration: select "Manual"
>>> Wireless Network Name (SSID): type in: Your SSID name here.
>>> Wireless Channel: select 9 - 2.452GHz
>>> Wireless SSID Broadcast: select "Enabled"
>>>
>>> Now click on the sub tab: "Wireless Security"
>>> Security Mode: Select WPA Personal
>>> WPA Algorithms: select: TKIP
>>> WPA Shared Key: type a secret key: (MUST BE 8 OR MORE CHARACTERS)
>>> Group Key Renewal: 3600 seconds
>>>
>>> Now click on the Security tab
>>> Click on the check mark box next to all of the filters
>>>
>>> Your done.
>>>
>>> _______________________
>>>
>>> Like I said, I am not experienced in this...   He says to "go into the
>>> router software," but my software which came with the router would be
>>> for Windows and Mac, but not for Ubuntu.  How do I get software that
>>> will work for Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> I'd gone to http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G2/download
>>> and found downloads for this router, but none seem to be for Ubuntu/Linux.
>>>

>> Joseph,
>>
>> Type in the address 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 in your browser. That will take
>> you to the "software" that is being talked about. You dont need software
>> for your OS, its on the router.
>>
>> The software is more like a website inside the router. Its all web based.
>>
>> If its a newer linksys leave the username blank and password is admin
>> otherwise try root and admin.
>>
>> ... I just looked at the link you posted, try no username and admin to
>> get in.
>>
>> You dont need any drivers for the setup of the router.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Wade, please forgive me for my computer ignorance, but when you say
> "browser," what do you mean?  Internet Browser???  If so, I'm timing out...

Yes. Firefox, Opera,... any browser.

Lets start from the beginning.

You have a router already set up and your other computers are on it.

Your ubuntu machine - is this a laptop or a desktop?

In to top right hand corner of your ubuntu desktop, look for the two
computers icon indicating your network connection. Left click on it.
Do you see something below it saying anything about wireless? If not,
you probably dont have a working wireless card.

Depending on if you are on a laptop or desktop will determine your next
course of action.

Lets assume that you can "see" your network in the drop down list from
above. If you can and you cant connection, 1) are you mac address
filtering? 2) are you using encryption?

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675