Setting Up a Router:

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Thu Oct 1 16:03:51 UTC 2009

Wade Smart wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>
>> ~TraydenT~ wrote:
>>
>>> Le 01/10/2009 16:23, Joseph a écrit :
>>> Hello,

>>> How do you connect you computer to the router ? What do you call
>>> recognize it ?

>>> If you don't see the wireless network, check that another computer can
>>> see it. If so, check that the wireless hardware on your computer is
>>> detected and handled by your Ubuntu system.
>>> If you are connected through wired network, check the cable for the
>>> connection. If the cable is ok, check that you get an IP. Then check the
>>> IP (in the range of your local network).
>>>
>>> I may be out of your problem since I may have misunderstood it.
>>>

>> It goes through the router to my other computer (windows), but not this
>> one (ubuntu).
>>
>> Detlef Lechner gave me a URL.  I found instructions there.  It said:
>>
>> Go into your router software - 192.168.1.1
>> On the Setup tab, select the subtab: Basic Setup
>>
>>  From the pull down list box "Automatic Configuration -DHCP"
>> should be selected.
>>
>> Router Name: WRT54G2
>> Host Name: leave blank
>> Domain Name: leave blank
>> MTU: Select "Manual"
>> Size: change to 1490
>>
>> Now select the "Wireless" tab
>> Wireless Configuration: select "Manual"
>> Wireless Network Name (SSID): type in: Your SSID name here.
>> Wireless Channel: select 9 - 2.452GHz
>> Wireless SSID Broadcast: select "Enabled"
>>
>> Now click on the sub tab: "Wireless Security"
>> Security Mode: Select WPA Personal
>> WPA Algorithms: select: TKIP
>> WPA Shared Key: type a secret key: (MUST BE 8 OR MORE CHARACTERS)
>> Group Key Renewal: 3600 seconds
>>
>> Now click on the Security tab
>> Click on the check mark box next to all of the filters
>>
>> Your done.
>>
>> _______________________
>>
>> Like I said, I am not experienced in this...   He says to "go into the
>> router software," but my software which came with the router would be
>> for Windows and Mac, but not for Ubuntu.  How do I get software that
>> will work for Ubuntu?
>>
>> I'd gone to http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G2/download
>> and found downloads for this router, but none seem to be for Ubuntu/Linux.
>>

> Joseph,
>
> Type in the address 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 in your browser. That will take
> you to the "software" that is being talked about. You dont need software
> for your OS, its on the router.
>
> The software is more like a website inside the router. Its all web based.
>
> If its a newer linksys leave the username blank and password is admin
> otherwise try root and admin.
>
> ... I just looked at the link you posted, try no username and admin to
> get in.
>
> You dont need any drivers for the setup of the router.
>
> Wade

Wade, please forgive me for my computer ignorance, but when you say
"browser," what do you mean?  Internet Browser???  If so, I'm timing out...

--

Joseph Snurr
Cotter, AR.

"Age mellows some people; others it makes rotten." - Heard in Arkansas
Our May 2009 trip to the Memphis Zoo:    http://e-pops.org/memphiszoo/