Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Ardour crashes if no network connected.

Michael Jones mjones1949 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 30 21:01:47 UTC 2009

Since switching to Ubuntu Studio from XP I have been very pleased with
the performance of Linus and Ardour in particular. However, I now have a
very frustrating issue. I've successfully used Ardour for Location
recording, but last Wednesday I went out on a job and Ardour would not
start. I start Jack and then After selecting a session to open a few
Ardour flash screens appear (Last one is "starting OSC" I think) then
nothing happens. I was forced to reluctantly turn to my XP backup
machine. Came home and everything worked OK. Put it down to a glitch.
Went out on another job on Sunday: same thing happened. I finally worked
out that as long as the home network is connected it works OK.Unplug the
network and it won't start.
When it fails I get the following message in Jack:

subgraph starting at ardour timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=21, status = 0,
state = Triggered, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)

17:11:09.695 JACK connection graph change.

subgraph starting at ardour timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=21, status = 0,
state = Triggered, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)

17:11:09.704 ALSA connection graph change.

17:11:09.718 JACK connection change.

17:11:09.731 ALSA connection change.

I can only speculate that Ardour is trying to access something over the
network from some previous session, but I can't imagine what. If you can
offer me any helpin solving tis issue I shall be eternally grateful. At
the moment the only solution I can see is a reload. If you need any log
files please let me know which ones you would like to see.

Many Thanks - Mike.