help with partition

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Nov 29 13:40:22 UTC 2009

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> When I did so I created a partition which was assigned sda1.  From
>  within 9.10 I can look at this partition but can not write to it.  I
>  want to be able to store data there.  What do I have to do?  Should
>  I have created a logical partition instead?

No, for the permissions there is no difference between logical and
primary partition. I suppose your partition has an ext2/3/4 file system.
Then the file permissions are stored on the partition for the individual
files and initially everything is owned by root. If you want to write to
the new partition as a normal user, I would suggest you create a new
directory for your UID and change ownership. If your partition is at
/media/sda1 the commands in a terminal would be this:

sudo mkdir /media/sda1/$USER
sudo chown $USER: /media/sda1/$USER

Nils