Mac look alike?

M. Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 04:21:27 UTC 2009

Patton Echols wrote:

> I may just do that,  But I'm trying to figure out whether she "needs"
> it, or if it is just extra "bling."  If the latter and she can have it
> for free, well, then when she gets out of college she can get her own
> mac book!

I recently went through the same thing with my step daughter going off
to college.  We talked it over, and decided to go with a HP laptop for
now.  The biggest concern being not so much the daughter, but in my
experience their *friends* are the biggest liability around to any
electronics, from phone to iPod to stereos to computers.  It's always
some 'friend' who fiddles around, does something stupid, and manages to
break said device.  And then can't pay to do the right thing: fix it or
replace it.  I'd much rather they screw up a $700 HP laptop than a
$1200-1300 (loaded) Macbook, however much I think the Macbook is a
better computer and OS X is the better OS (as compared to Vista).

YMMV,

Monte