touchpad problem on 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:51:11 UTC 2009

Dne 20.11.2009 (pet) ob 12:15 -0700 je don fisher zapisal(a):
> I have a Dell 1721 with a synaptics touchpad. In the past I ave been
> able to use the touchpad without problems. When I run the bootonly
> Ubuntu from CD, the touchpad operates. After my upgrade to 9.10 I
> receive the following in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint
> (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//synaptics_drv.so
> (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> 	compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.1.2
> 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
> AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be
> missing
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/event9"
> Query no Synaptics: 000000
> (--) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: no supported touchpad found
> (EE) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
>
> The events are mow in /dev rather than /dev/input/event.
>
> Any idea on what is confused? I am new with Hal.
>
> don

Hello Don,

have you seen this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/442441

for some posters it was connected with grub issue.

Quoting Przemysław Kulczycki from Comment 31 for bug 442441:
<quote>
I forgot that I was still running the Jaunty kernel :/ After reboot the
touchpad works fine, lsusb works too.
Bug 202009 was the reason for my confusion - my menu.lst wasn't updated
by grub.
</quote>

Regards